Monday, October 18, 2010

McCoy Pottery-Green Stoneware


I have been collecting green-glazed yellowware for about 25 years. 
In these photos most of what you will see is McCoy Pottery.

The first McCoy pottery was established in 1848 in Putman, Ohio as W. Nelson McCoy Pottery. In 1899 it became the J.W. McCoy Pottery Company. On
 October 23,1911 three pottery plants merged to become the  
Brush-McCoy Pottery Company.
My smallest McCoy bowl is  5 in., my largest bowl is 12 in.

The pitchers and bowls on the middle shelf are Bush-McCoy, first produced in 1916. They are called The Avenue of Trees.
The yellow and green stoneware pitcher and bowls are from the Nelson McCoy Sanitary Stoneware Company, 1920's. 
(The top left is not McCoy it is a Roseville pitcher.)

Some other companies that produced green-glazed yellowware are Roberson, Ransbottom, Watt, Hull and Roseville.

If you think you may like to collect stoneware or older pottery you may find these books helpful.

The Collectors Encyclopedia of McCoy Pottery-By Sharon and Bob Huxford
McCoy Pottery Collector's Reference &Amp; Value Guide- By Margaret Hanson, Craig Nissen and Bob Hanson
American Country Pottery Yellowware & Amp; Spongeware- By William C. Ketchum ,Jr.

7 comments:

  1. Hello,

    Would you be able to tell me anything about the large green pitcher in your 5th photo (2nd from bottom)? It is located in the center of the top shelf. I have an identical pitcher which belonged to my mother-in-law.

    Thank you for such an interesting blog!

    Alex. Weldon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Alexandra,
    Your pitcher is a green salt glaze pitcher. The pattern is Rose and Trellis. These pitchers have been found in three different sizes. They were also produced in Blue and white and blue and tan. This pattern was also used in washstand sets.
    I hope this information was helpful to you.
    Thanks for your interest, Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    Thank you for your blog. I am wondering about the bowls in the second to last picture. I have a bowl in the same pattern, deeper green. What is it? Also, I have a blue milk pitcher with a swan on it, I think by McCoy...can you help me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bowl was most likely one in a set of nesting bowls. They usually came in sets of eight different sizes, called "Nesting sets" they stacked inside of one another for easy storage.
    This pattern is called "Scrolled Band Bowls."
    Mccoy did make a Swan pitcher but I would have to see your's.
    I hope I was helpful.
    Thanks, Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, just found your blog. Was wondering about the Roseville green pitcher. I bought one at an auction and was wondering about it, could you help me?
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am looking for information on the Roseville green pitcher, just bought one a auction.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your bowl collection!! The smaller bowls are harder (and more expensive) and harder to find. I have a nice collection of McCoy bowls and pitchers, as well as vases and planters. I tend toward the older, simpler pieces in greens and white. Thanks for sharing yours!

    ReplyDelete