Sunday, January 23, 2011

Shell Seeker is on the move

A beautiful January day lends itself to a day of shelling with friends.
Linda, Donna and I make a picnic lunch, grab our shelling buckets and off we go.
 It felt so good to be on the water again with friends in my trusty little boat. She may be small but in her I can go places larger boats can not.
We arrive on the back side of an island called Cayo Costa. We tie Shell Seeker, my boat,
 up to a pole that sits in a small cove. 
The girls and I then take a walk across the island, dressed in what looks like island camo in this dappled lighting.
 The beach: no people, only sand, shells and our footprints.
My friends and I had a wonderful picnic lunch as we listened to the gulf waters rolling onto the bleached white, sandy gulf shore.
After lunch we grabbed our shelling buckets and with excitement we started our treasure hunt. We walked slowly down the beach with our stooped postures picking up sea shells of all kinds.
I got a little distracted when we came across this magnificent driftwood tree.
 It is huge, and of course I would love to drag it home with me but that is not a possibility. So I coaxed my friends into letting me take a few pictures of them with this marvelous tree.
 I had to photograph every angle and I had to touch every inch of this tree. It not only looked beautiful it felt wonderful, there where so many textures, rough, smooth, wet, dry I was truly in kinetic heaven.
  As my human friends  continued down the beach I meet a couple of crabs. This one is very cute, don't you think?
This horseshoe crab seems to have been left a little high and dry.
Our shelling buckets full. Oh my, where did the day go!
With our buckets and bags in hand
 we leave this wonderful beach with memories in our hearts and treasures in hands.









No comments:

Post a Comment