Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Wedding - Driftwood Arbor

As I walk along our Florida Beaches
 on occasion I will see a beautiful piece of driftwood.
Washed and worn, some pieces molded by time
with ripples and dimples.
I find myself picking these pieces of time up
 and carrying them home imagining what they have been through 
and how they came be in my hand on this day.
My son Jeremy and his lovely bride Felicia
have seen some of my pieces of driftwood and the 
mirrors I have made with them.
 These two native Floridians thought that a
driftwood arbor would be a wonderful addition
 to their wedding day. Felicia asked Jeremy and I if we
could make their dream a reality.
Jeremy and I both love a challenge so
our answer was, of course, yes.
 For a year I wandered about our small island and 
various and sundry places gathering nature's outcast.
At the end of March Jeremy and his friends
 came to the island and bundled all the driftwood I had found.
 They placed it in their boats and took it to the mainland.
Then they put the driftwood in their trucks and hauled it to the 
shop where Jeremy and I would build the Wedding Arbor.
Jeremy and I figured the Arbor should be 
seven foot by four foot. That would be
 large enough for three people to stand in or in front of
 but not to large to transport.
 Jeremy built the Arbor frame and painted it.
 I asked if I could help but he
wanted to do it himself.
Once the Arbor was painted Jeremy and I started putting
 the puzzle together. Each piece of driftwood
was strategically placed. For hours I handed Jeremy
driftwood pieces as he drilled and screwed them into the 
arbor frame.
I had such a wonderful time working with Jeremy.
He is so talented and creative. This arbor was
as much his design as mine.
We made a great team. 
The arbor is finished.
 Now we must get this arbor to its destination.
 A frame was built in and around the arbor
to give the men something to hold onto
 and to support the arbor
as they lifted and moved it from place to place.
 Jeremy and his buddies lifted and carried
 this huge, very heavy arbor and set it in the prefect place.
Hours of hard work, fun and lots of help,
we are now ready for the final touches on the arbor.
The supports are removed. 
There she stands in all her glory, 
pieces once discarded
have come together to make one beautiful center
piece for a very special day.
Congratulations
 Felicia and Jeremy
Thank you Craig Ligibel for the wedding pictures.
Jeremy, Mac, Josh, Dave, Daniel, Blue, Elliott, Eric, Justin,
Lance, Matt, Christian, Steve, Jay and Rob
    all who had a hand in helping with this project
thank you, we could not have done it without you.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! Everything was beautiful! Where did you get all of the driftwood?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erin. I find the driftwood on beaches and small islands. Sometimes a wonderful piece will have washed up right at my back door.

      Delete