Saturday, January 12, 2013

Fun with Fibers

For all of you who have been wondering
 what I have been doing with my
time lately, here is a little preview.
I am enjoying playing and working 
with some new yummy fibers and making 
wonderful things like this scarf.
The base of this scarf is knitted with merino
wool, spun thin with 2 ply. This wool is multi color
with brown, yellow and cream running through it.
It is soft and wonderful to the touch.
After I knitted the base of my scarf
 I start crocheting.
 I found a beautiful soft mellow yellow
 hand spun yarn made of wool and mohair.
It is perfectly spun, thick and thin, 
giving my scarf great texture.
This yarn has a very slight hint of sparkle.
The next fabulous fiber I used was a 
recycled silk yarn.
 Hand spun by a women's cooperative
 from silk weaving mills waste.
This is a Fair Trade item imported from India.
It is mostly tan with specks of yellow, green,
and grapefruit.
Grapefruit? 
The perfect name for this next yarn.
Made of merino wool it is fingering weight
and is a wonderful peachy pink color.
It was just right for a little added punch.
You will see small grapefruit knots and flowers 
throughout this beautiful scarf.
The more texture the better I say.
So a orange - yellow ribbon yarn made it's
way up, around and about this scarf, forming
clusters of flowers.
If your asking, "Is she finished yet? " I will
have to say, "Not quite!"
Just a few more flowers using some lace wool that
has tiny sequins running though it.
Now, this fabulous scarf  is finished!
If you would like to purchase this wonderful
handmade, "one of a kind", free form art scarf,
you can find it in my online store.
If you want to give this a try yourself here are two of my 
favorite yarn sources.
and
Have fun with all those yummy fibers!

2 comments:

  1. Love what you did with all yarns you got from us! I especially love the little crocheted flowers you used the madelinetosh for. this scarf has such great character!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Love, Love all your yarns!

    ReplyDelete