Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Craft Day - Needle Felting - White Egret

Needle felting has become
 one of my favorite crafts.
I am a lover of texture and fiber.
Yes, I am that person.
(For better or worse)
 The one who has to touch everything.
I was the little girl who walked around
 with her hands in her pockets
trying desperately not to touch things when she shouldn't.
 Needle felting is allowing me
 to use my "touchy feely" ways and I am painting with fibers.
My hands have come out of the little dress pockets 
and are creating what they see.
This piece started with a 12x12 piece of 
sky blue thick felt.
I used pieces of beige and brown light weight
felt to make my palm tree bases. Using my I felting needles I
felted these pieces into the blue felt. Then I added wool roving
 to give my trees some dimension and texture.
I made the palm leaves by cutting four different colors
of green felt to look as they should. 
Then I felted them above and around the
 palm tree bases. 
I add felt, roving and other fibers as my picture evolves.
Clouds begin to form in the sky as I use
 a small amount of white, cream and beige roving.
The water gains movement with different yarns being placed
 and felted into the blue background.
We must not forget the beach made with many different
colors of white roving giving it a sandy feel.
I continue on, pulling, cutting and pushing my fibers
until I feel my felted piece is complete. 
If you love fibers you will probably enjoy
needle felting.
It is a wonderful way to feel what you see.



No comments:

Post a Comment