Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Move - First the Studio

My husband and I are moving to a condo in the sky.
 We will be leaving our home of twenty-five years. The children are all grown up and Jay and I don't really need all the space and property we have now. 
This is the room that will soon be my new studio.
 The space is great.
The studio space is even better now that there is a wood floor and no carpet.
Beads and small things seem to disappear in carpet.
 I'm very happy with the wood floor.
Thanks Jay!
This is the old studio. 
It's now time for the packing and moving.
The new studio has a bath room that is now a mini studio. 
The bath tub became a storage area.
 I had the plumping plugged and the fixtures taken off.
 I then measured the bath tub from wall to wall. I then went to Lowe's and bought a piece of wood that a nice young man cut into the size I needed to fit over my tub. I took my board home,
 covered it with fabric and placed it on top of my tub.
A good friend of mine made a closet out of her bathtub, so I played on her wonderful idea. 
Thanks Colleen! 
Now I have a great place to store all of my paper goods.
The sink area was the perfect place to set up my soldering space. 
My studio has a large closet. I had shelves installed from floor to ceiling.
This is where all my fabric, lace, ribbon and sewing related things are.
 The old baskets that I made years ago now have my collection of beautiful lace in them. 
On the far side of this closet are all of my reference books.
When you first walk into my studio you will see a green step-back cupboard.
 I keep all my household tools in here. Things like tape, nails, hooks, my drill, etc.
You will also see my mannequin.
I think you should have all the things you love in your studio.
 I love old cupboards and antiques so I have surrounded myself with these things, using them as storage.
This antique oak english cupboard houses all of my yarns.
 Next to it you see my spinning wheel.
This wall has three work tables. 
The first table has my rolling mill, drill press, band saw and metal cutter.
 This table also has drawers that house some of my metals.
The next table is the hammering table.
My anvils, vises and other metal bending tools are here.
Above this table you will see a peg board that I covered in burlap.
This is where my hammers and files hang, they are easy to see and grab.
The last table on this wall is my jewelers table. 
I have my flex-shaft here and all of my smaller hand tools.
On the opposite wall is a third antique step back cupboard.
It is my beading cupboard. 
All of my beads are here as well as anything having to do with beading.
I have collected boxes for years. 
Now they are on top of his cupboard housing wonderful things for future projects.
No studio is complete without a comfy chair for those times when you just want to contemplate or a friend comes to visit.

Last but not least is my work table.
( I will show this in more detail in a future blog.)
This is the end of my new studio tour.
 The wonderful thing about moving a studio is everything has a place and everything is labeled.
 The bad thing is, I don't want to mess it up.
 Oh, but it will be a wonderful place to create.



No comments:

Post a Comment