Saturday, June 11, 2011

Shell Box - Friend

Todays  Shell Box was made for a wonderful young man, Chad. 
 When I was asked to make this box I was thrilled and honored.
Chad has been an island resident and the on-island manager for several years.
He was always lending a hand and keeping everything running and everyone on task.
 We have all loved having him here and he will be greatly missed.
 My desire for Chad's Shell Box was to tell a story of his time here on Useppa Island. 
Like all of my shell boxes I worked from the inside out. 
 I started with an old wooden cigar box and lined the inside of the box with navy felt.
Then I placed ribbon and cording around the inside edges of the box in hopes of bringing back
 memories of our turquoise waters. 
I placed words on the inside lid that represent Chad. He is an adventurer, guide, friend and inspiration.
In the middle of the lid I placed a little plaque that says,
" We do not remember days. We remember moments."
I made a chain with tokens that represent things on and around Useppa Island
 and placed it in the box.
This is what Chad sees when he opens his box.
On the outside of this box there lies layers and layers of very small sea shells.
A lot of these shells were found on Cayo Costa, a  beautiful Island
 where on a high surf day you might see Chad surfing.
Chad's box is finished,
 a little treasure box full of memories and  moments.






No comments:

Post a Comment