Sunday, September 4, 2011

Shell Wind Chime

Here on Useppa Island my husband Jay and I live at the foot of 
an ancient Indian shell mound.
There are times when one can feel the spirt of those who come before us.
There is a large fig tree at the top of the Indian mound in front of our house.
The spirits were calling for a wind chime.
I gathered my supplies, a box of shells that had holes in them, two pieces of drift wood,
a wooden oval and some jute.
I cut four very long pieces of jute and folded them in half
 and placed them on my wooden oval.
I placed my oval on a drawer knob to keep 
my pieces steady as I tied my macramé knots.
After about two inches of knots I started working in 
some feathers.
Then I knotted in my first shell and continued 
with my knots. I added one more shell and a few more knots.
For the cross bar I used drift wood. 
Crossing the two pieces of drift wood
I divided the jute in half taking the two halves in opposite directions
 around the drift wood and tying them at the bottom of the wood.
Now to stabilize the middle of the chime I  tried more 
macrame knots and added more shells.
 This is all coming from my head and hands as I go.
 It's all about feel and balance.
The middle of my Wind Chime is finished.
Time to start on the side bars.
I  will use two pieces of long jute and fold them in half
 then I will place them onto one of the four drift wood bars.
I will do this on all four bars.
Then I macramé and work in shells all the way down my jute. 
I do this on each bar.
Just as I did for the middle of the Wind Chime.
For a little added touch I glue and tie shells on each corner
of my Shell Wind Chime.
 Once the glue is dry I will take 
the jute off of the shells.
This Wind Chime is now hanging at the foot of an ancient Indian mound.
Did the ancients guide my hands in this?






No comments:

Post a Comment