Friday, February 7, 2014

Tips and Tools - Corralling the Studio Chaos - Day One - The Fibers

Okay!
 I have to believe that 
most artists and crafters have an 
occasional day when their work space
explodes!
I know mine does from time to time.
For the next two or three days I will share with you
 some of the tools I used to corral my clutter
in the studio.
I will start with how I store
my fibers.
As you may know I am a mixed media artist
working with all kinds of materials.
 It is very important that my fibers are not exposed
to my metal or wood elements.
I have remedied this problem by storing all my fibers 
in a nice size walk in closet. 
 It has open selves built from floor to sealing
which allows me to see all my fabrics, leather, 
laces, yarns, ribbon and twine. 
I have re-purposed old baskets that I made many years
ago, they now house my antique and vintage laces, dollies
and hankies.
I found a corner in my fiber closet 
for all my reference books and catalogs.
Just in front of the books sits an old chest
that my mother used for my baby clothes.
It is small and prefect for all my sewing things.
A drawer for knitting needles, 
a drawer for crochet needles,
a scissor drawer and a
miscellaneous drawer for sewing items.
On top of this dresser I have used 
vintage cedar boxes for sewing notions, pins and needles
and sewing machine items.
Labeled boxes sit high on my shelves.
 They store things that I do not use often
 like ribbons, old belts and scarfs.
I moved my yarn from the shelves to this
canvas shoe rack. This freed up shelf space
for more of my fabrics and also helped 
me to sort my yarns by color. 
The vintage ties that I use in some of my work
are light weight and hang nicely on hangers
after they are opened and pressed.
The hangers rest on clear thumb tacks.
The hanging wire rack works well
for the ties that have not yet been opened and pressed.
The antique spools!
 I have had these wooden spools sitting around for years.
I recently used one of them in a bird sculpture.
While cleaning the studio I decided what better way
to use these spools then the way they were first intended.
Stools are always useful in a studio.
This small antique stool fits wonderfully on one of my shelves
it works to lift spools up so that I can see them.
Other things can be placed under the stool or in front it.
This re-purposed basket 
holds all of my leather pieces.
So there you have it.
The fiber closet is cleaned and organized.
I can now close the door and move on to
the main room of the studio.
See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment