Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Sculpting a Hand out of Sculpy Clay - The Wine Grab Sign

I had never Sculpted a hand before.
Yet I had a vision of a sign
for an upcoming fundraiser.
This idea would require a hand.
So I just jumped in, as I tend to do, 
using the clay I had on site.
 Which was Sculpey clay.
After one weekend and about 18 hours into sculpting
my first hand ever, I thought it might be helpful
 to read a little about sculpting.
(Most people would do this first, but not me.)

I could not find any information about using Sculpey
in this way. Sculpey clay seems to be used
in smaller art forms. Not life sized.
I think the reason maybe
that Sculpey clay should only be one quarter inch thick.
(This fact did make this project challenging
but not impossible.) 
I was determined to try
 making a life sized hand out of Scupley.
You have been looking at photos of my second attempt and the process
of sculpting a life size hand out of Sculpey clay.
In my first attempt I did everything
wrong that a person can do wrong when sculpting.
This led to cracking, 18 hours
of experience and a hand of cracked
clay in the trash.

My second Sculpty clay hand went much better.
Experience is a great teacher.
Books are wonderful teachers as well.
 
 I continued to sculpt my hand. I enjoyed
the tactile pleasure of working the clay.
With each movement a part of me
was being placed
and given.
I am now 24 hours into this sculpture.
I start to see signs of possible cracking.
I know I need to finish.
My sculpture is not where I want it to be but
I have to stop or I could lose the whole piece.
 I get as close as I can to a finished,
sculpted hand and I stop.
I was a nervous wreak as I placed this hand in
the oven to be cured.
It came out perfect with no cracking.
I placed my sculpted hand into my
 Wine Grab Sculpture.
My vision is complete!
Let the Wine Grab begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment