Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Bridging Time

A weekend spent in the Eastern Shore Town of Onancock Va.,
 established in 1776, is never time enough.
There is beauty all around. The trees are huge,
Never will you see Magnolias as large as they are here.
The town smiles, like " Onancock Garden",
 as my husband so aptly puts it.
Time seems to stand still here.
I welcome the moments that allow me to go back in time.
As I look down this wild strawberry came into view.
 Memories of a child
picking these tiny berries,
 me so proud,
 it so sour.
 For so many years
 I have enjoyed the smell and sweet taste of honeysuckle.
 This weekend I was able to share that joy with Jude. 
He giggled as he put his nose up to the yellow 
flowers that tickled his nose.
Oh, the summer days of hunting for the
rare four leaf clover.
The rocket ships.
A simple wrap of the stem and a push
up to the flower's tip and off the top would shoot.
Just like a rocket.
Anyone see grenades?
For many summers my children found these to be the weapon
of choice. I will not be the one to show Jude this little trick.
Those things hurt when they hit.
What do you see?
Jude found Captain Hook's pirate ship.
My last morning here.
The refection of the moon setting.
My time here comes to an end,
but not before one more walk.
You see there are still treasures to be found.
A helicopter, an owl, a bird, a boat.......

No comments:

Post a Comment