Saturday, November 5, 2011

Mixing it up

The air is cool and crisp on this beautiful Saturday morning in November.
It will be the perfect day for a little gardening.
My gardening is very simple these days. 
I no longer have the five acres of land
 with the herb garden, cutting garden,
butterfly garden, fish pond and fruit trees to tend.
You know, it's okay, really. 
I have wonderful memories of 
my gardening there but my gardening here is
easy and just as fun and rewarding.
This garden is two six foot by two foot wide boxes pushed together.
They are about two foot tall.
I have planted herbs and they are growing very well. 
If you have never gardened, herbs are a wonderful place to start.
Most herbs are easy to grow and low maintenance.
 How rewarding to step out your front door and snip
 a piece of basil, rosemary or thyme.
I have placed a few pieces of driftwood in my garden.
They have two purposes, the piece above is giving
 my mint something to creep around
and each piece gives my herb garden a little island personality.
I have made markers for my herbs by stamping old knifes
with the names of each herb.
Gardening has always been a time of contemplation for me.
Today I realized something. 
You no how I'm always telling you to learn new things.
Don't be afraid just try.
I have also expressed my apprehension and fear of painting.
We are mixing soil and I'm mixing media.
Here it is my first attempted at painting and mixed media.
 Not great I know but I have taken the first step.
Whether you are mixing paint or mixing soil it's all about 
"Enjoy the little things, one day you may look back
and realize they were the big things."




No comments:

Post a Comment