Monday, November 4, 2013

Tips and Tools - Chandelier Redo

This past weekend 
I refinished my chandelier
using Chalk Paint.
I really enjoyed using this form of paint.
There are no harmful chemicals or solvents
so I could use it inside while my chandelier 
was still hanging.
With Chalk Paint there is no need for
prepping. Yeah! No sanding, no primer.
All I had to do was
 cover the work space below me.
Chalk paint has a very thick consistency.
You may add a little water to it to thin it out.
Be careful though. It is real easy to add to much water.
Tip:
( I used an old cascade container for mixing paint.)
Start painting your chandelier with
your first coat of paint.
Most projects will require two coats of paint.
It all depends on the look that you want to
achieve.
This was my first attempt at using chalk paint.
Two things that I learned at this point.
    One, My first coat of paint did not need to be so thin.
Two, I wish I would have antiqued my chandelier
using my darker paint at this stage.
Once you have your paint on your chandelier
take a damp soft cloth and wipe off the paint
where your want it to look worn.
Now it is time to wax your chandelier.
Wax and buff.
This will darken your paint slightly.
I still wanted my chandelier darker so I used an
aging cream next.
I put the aging cream on and let it dry for 2 hours.
Then I buffed it.
It looks great but it is still not dark enough for the
look I am trying to achieve.
I let the chandelier rest over night.

The next morning I was still not happy with the finish
on the chandelier.
I thought that the wax and finishing cream
 would give me the depth that I wanted but it did not.
It was to late to go back and paint but I had to do something.
So, I took a chance.
I put a small amount of the putty color chalk paint
onto a clean cloth and started wiping it onto my chandelier.
I used a wipe on, wipe off method.
Yeah! It worked!
I will let this chandelier rest a couple of
weeks and then I will give it a finale waxing.

I am very happy with the results.
Now it is time to redo the dinning room chairs.
I am thinking blue.....



No comments:

Post a Comment