Sunday, June 17, 2012

A Fathers Day Sunrise

As I watch the sun come up
so beautifully this morning I reflect on one of
my first and fondest memories of my father.
I am five years old.
My family and I lived in a white brick ranch style
house with black shutters.
 Blond and blue eyed I stood waiting
 for my Dad.
You see white bricks had just arrived and
were lying in wait in our driveway.
I was a curious little girl from the start and I idealized
my Dad. He could do anything and everything.
He was handsome, athletic, smart, he could do it all.
In my eyes he was The Only Man.
 He was my Hero.
 Here he comes.
I watch as he starts placing bricks
and mixing mortar.
I don't remember any words being spoken.
That did not matter to me.
I just loved watching intently as the man I loved
worked diligently.
Each white brick was spaced and placed perfectly.
As each row began to form so did the
lattice effect.
This wall did not form in a day or even two.
It took several days but again I did not care.
I would wait for my Dad to arrive home from work
every night hopping to watch the next phase of
this beautiful wall go up.
Each time my father was working I was watching.
Spending time loving the moments
watching the man I loved
 and waiting for his creation to be completed.
That day did come when the lattice wall was complete.
I will never forget the expression on my father's face.
He was so proud, but it was not a pride of
accomplishment of self.
It was as if he was saying
this I did for you my family, my home.
On this Fathers Day I would like to say
"Thank you Dad" for teaching me so well
with so few words but with moments
well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment