Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Message in a Bottle

As Tropical Storm Debby past
by Useppa Island this weekend
she left a small gift on my beach.
Floating on top of mounds of seaweed there sat 
a glass bottle, sealed, with a  message inside.
 I have aways dreamt of finding a message in a bottle.
At first I did not want to open it. I found myself
turning the bottle every way I could to read the message
without breaking the seal.
The writing was very light so I was going to have to
open the bottle.
Who wrote this note and placed it in this bottle?
With the seal now broken I carefully pulled the message
out of the bottle.
As I read the message I imagined
 a young girl and her father writing it
and then carefully placing it into the bottle.
Together they may have lit a candle and watched
 as the wax dripped onto the cork to seal the bottle.
 I am picturing this pair, hand in hand, 
walking with the bottle down to the beach.
The tide is now going out and together they release
their message in a bottle.
Thank you Kaile for this wonderful gift.
You brought a smile to my face
and joy to my heart.
I hope one day you too
 will find a Message in a Bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment